Equipped for the Job
Everyone who heard about it reflected on these events and asked, “What will this child turn out to be?” For the hand of the Lord was surely upon him in a special way. Luke 1:68
Elizabeth knew her baby would be special because God had performed a miracle in order for her to become pregnant. Her son had a special mission, and she was given specific instructions about how to raise him.
Zechariah was told these things by the angel:
- You are to name him John. (Normally children are named for a relative, but there was no one named John in Zechariah's family).
- You will have great joy and gladness.
- Many will rejoice at his birth.
- He will be great in the eyes of the Lord.
- He must never touch wine or other alcoholic drinks.
- He will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even before his birth.
- He will turn many Israelites to the Lord their God.
- He will be a man with the spirit and power of Elijah.
- He will prepare the people for the coming of the Lord.
- He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children.
- He will cause those who are rebellious to accept the wisdom of the godly.
When God chooses someone to do a job for him, he makes sure that person is equipped to do the task. Zechariah and Elizabeth had the righteousness and maturity to raise their special son.
When God asks you to do something for him, you can be confident knowing he has already prepared you for the job.
Thinking it Through
God equips us for each job he gives us to do.
In what ways was Elizabeth equipped to be John's mom? What made her the best choice?
What are you doing for God that he has equipped you for? Or what can you do for God based on your talents and abilities.
From The One Year Devotions for Girls Starring Women of the Bible
Why not get a copy and read through it in 201?